This unseasonable weather is also affecting my work ethic. Of course, it is not the nature of humans that I am drawn to laziness over doing my assigned readings and writings, it is this crazy summertime voodoo that still has a hold on me. How I wish for the spell to be broken, but it feels so good. Alas, this weekend will be mostly dedicated to work, and a crab bake.
Yes, a crab bake. Everyone in the program is invited to some alumni beach house in Maryland to eat lots of meat products and ride in a boat. We will also make "connections" and be sho
wn where the Cheneys live. Oh, perhaps I will see
one of my favorite gay Republicans, Mary Cheney! Oh, maybe her kid will be there, and either way, I will have the opportunity to go on a huge rant about her selfishness and the unbearable irony of her life in front of plenty of unwilling straight people! This did throw off my Sunday plans to see the WACK! exhibit for free at the National Museum of Women in the Arts (one of the few museums in DC that normally charges admission) and to play ultimate frisbee. Instead, I will eat more free food (this week has been unprecedented in that regard) and schmooze. Too bad I don't have a sun hat. I imagine that would be fitting if I were going to eat crab in Maryland. I will wear a bib even if I won't be cracking the famous crustaceans, because I'm one classy broad. Or maybe I should be prepared with a baby gift, just in case...Boy, I wish I was seeing more famous people around. My roommate saw John Kerry stroll pass an expensive Italian restaurant the other day, and I am never going to see anyone at my new work place on Dupont Circle. I may have been in a sorry state by now if I were still on the Hill, but I would at least know that Elizabeth Kucinich has a tongue ring, be able to go up to Larry Craig and say, "I side with you and the ACLU," and tell Clarence Thomas that he is an asshole and needs to stop trying to destroy Anita Hill's reputation in order to clear his name. What does he have to gain by rehashing the same arguments of racial
bias and liberal conspiracy as he and his defenders did almost two decades ago? It was not about him being black, or abortion, or the fault of Hill's character. As nearly every gender/women studies class has taught a generation since that confirmation hearing, the whole event was in Thomas's favor, with the media, black community, and even the liberal establishment on his side. As if being on the highest court for life wasn't a good enough booty prize for the hassle he went though, he has to relive it, in a new era.Why did he feel this necessary, and why didn't any one try to stop him and his bad judgment? Cultural understanding of sexual harassment has evolved since he was able to easily dismiss Hill in front of America. People can distinguish the credibility of Hill from the catty depictions and accusations found in Thoma's autobiography. What hasn't changed is the media, which continues to present Thomas as a swell guy and miss or under quote Hill, or not consider her at all. CNN, that last island of hope for fair, wholesome "liberal" media, has to make a point that he has lesbian friends and is just lovable to make up for pubic hair comments. I really don't care if he has lesbian friends, everyone should have lesbian friends. Him toting around that he has dyke friends that he keeps a picture of on his desk to prove he is not sexist is like white people claiming they aren't racist because they have a token black friend.
If Thomas does want to bring out his dirty laundry, why doesn't the media give
him the hell he deserves? Is that only reserved to blowjobs and Clinton? I can only imagine the type of blast from the past bullshit we will be subjected to in the near future, with Hillary Clinton's recent gains in the Democratic polls. Why not break it all down, how disgusting Thomas's behavior was, how people behave when they have power? Perhaps it fits better into assigned rules to give the benefit of the doubt to the position and gender in power, and overlook the one who questions or challenges it. Both Anita and Hillary are strong women who can take the abuse that our society gives women who stand up to or make steps to obtain that power, but we will continue to see the punishment they face for doing so. In the meantime, please, continue to bitch about Thomas and write to news outlets that give him a break. He certainly doesn't deserve it.

1 comment:
Go to a senate committee hearing in the hill and you'll see plenty of famous people. I think the Dalai Lama and Richard Gere are coming to talk by the capitol soon. I'll keep you posted.
And your blog is way more interesting than my assigned readings.
Post a Comment