If legislation and the demographics of their supporters weren’t enough verification, congressmen want to verify further that they are not down with the gay, ok? TheHill.com asked Representatives who they thought was the most attractive presidential candidate, and a good chunk gave homophobic answers and/or defaulted to
“I don’t know. Because I’m a serious heterosexual I would have to say Hillary — who else would I say?”
A serious heterosexual? A diehard heterosexual? Not an amateur, hobbyist, or one who only dabbles in being heterosexual? Most of these comments came from Democrats, and
Homophobia in the black community aside, we can’t overlook the rush to reinforce heteronormative declarations post-Foley/Craig scandals. We have all responded to their downfalls with amusement, whom can not help but revel in the irony of it all, and how it is helping to bring the conservative movement and the GOP to its knees just in time for a presidential election? For many of us, it is a long awaited exposure of the right’s hypocrisy, but some hold pity for these men. To be in power and with their party and voting base, they denied themselves and felt compelled to live double lives.
Most gays would say fuck them, they don’t deserve sympathy for betraying us and using people’s hatred for us for political benefit. And I have to agree: if one is too scared to be honest about their sexuality, then they choose to live a life of the privileges of being straight, but ultimately a lie. You choose not to be brave and true to yourself. But there is something we can do.
If we do not, then it will continue to be permissible for our elected officials to publicly disrespect the gay community, and feel obligated to make these ignorant statements. Besides, we all know

No comments:
Post a Comment