Friday, August 31, 2007

hit the floor running (but mostly walking)

I moved into the dorms Monday here in DC, with the overall experience being like an older, wiser version of freshman year. So suddenly have the same patterns of constantly meeting new people of my age group and resorting to the series of where are you from/whats your major questions become part of everyday interactions. There is a new one to spice it up, the conversation starter-or-ender "where are you interning?" Despite this unavoidable awkwardness, the people I've met have been gracious and friendly, including all these lovely University of California students, who are more torn up over DC's humidity than the Ann Arbor kids.

That is one thing about this town, it is crazy hot outside, and it will be this way until at least the end of September. Grant it, it's just as sticky in Michigan, but the calling to explore subjects me to long afternoons of learning how to deal with it. I became so use to riding a bike to cut down on my time outside in Ann Arbor, that I look with longing every time I see a young professional or messenger zip by on their two wheels of glory.

But what I do see on foot is worth all the sweat that seeps from my pores. Our program coordinator has made it a point to get us out of bed before noon to see her picks of DC must-sees, which included the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and the Calder mobiles at the National Gallery of Art. At one point the whole group walked through the Sculpture Garden and pondered the abstract pieces. We came upon Joan MirĂ³'s
Personnage Gothique, Oiseau-Eclair, and it was all I could do to keep myself from shouting to the head-scratching and dismissive crowd, "it's a vagina!" I mean, come on. I'm sure we were all thinking it, but it is the first week, and we all want to come off as polite and well-mannered gentlemen and ladies.
In the meantime, this will be one of my favorite "monuments" in this town.

My urge to wander inspires me to spend the rest of the days tramping around the city, being both a tourist and one seeking community. I have managed to cover much ground, from the Capitol where I will be working, to Dupont Circle, north of where I live. And while I have finally gotten into the habit of carrying around a journal to make notes and write down thoughts, I have yet to include my camera in my daily exploration. I will fix this and present you all with fun pictures of Dana May at this statue and Dana May in front of this monument. Because I don't feel touristy enough...

Probably my most touristy feat as of late was visiting the Natural History Museum yesterday. I love dinosaurs as much as the next person, but I hate crowds, and teenage boys who do not touch-but smack and mock-the dinosaur bones. How dare they. Speaking of how I am easily annoyed by children, on the drive over to DC I had an irksome encounter with a tot in the restroom. Somewhere in Maryland, a little blonde rugrat thought it was acceptable and cute to get on her hands and knees and peek into the bathroom stalls while patrons were in the middle of their business. While the granny in the stall next to me dismissed the girl's antics and was so foolishly charmed, I told that little punk straight, even when her vacant blue eyes were looking up at me. "Stalls are built for privacy, ok?" Don't get any ideas, Larry Craig.

In the spirit of not sounding like a Scrooge, I think I am going to like this town. Congress is still in recess, but when it starts to swing again, I can only imagine the amount of celebrity-spotting-for-nerds we all will have. I visited the office where I will be interning two days ago, and found that, despite what the intern coordinator said about the dress code being business, nearly everyone was in jeans. I shouldn't be too surprised, 1) its Dennis Kucinich's office, at least they were wearing shoes, 2) its recess, and while the congresspeople are away, the staff will play, or wear comfortable clothing.

Today I plan to check out the Logan Circle/U street area, where the most interesting music halls, Black Cat and Velvet Lounge, can be found. It is the new Dupont Circle, where there is not an over priced and rated hookah bar like Gazuza. Who knew I would miss Rendezvous Cafe so soon? I am starting to not feel anxious about not knowing the city like I know Ann Arbor, and not try to see everything in a few days. That is the beauty of it, the little risk of ever being bored and restless, as long as I stay moving.

No comments: